Almost everybody has a scar they’d really rather not see every day. If you have scars from cuts and scrapes, injuries, acne or surgery, chances are nobody else is noticing, but they can be annoying or make you self-conscious. While scars are inevitable (especially if you’re clumsy like I apparently am), there are a lot of natural remedies you can use to minimize their appearance. Note that it may take several consistent applications—daily is ideal—for results to be really noticeable.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Scar Tissue:
Avoid surgical procedures and simply follow these natural remedies for scar tissue that safely treats the problem. Remember that results depend on the severity or depth of the problem.
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains fatty acids and vitamin E that exhibit antioxidant property which in turn helps to prevent and reverse the free radicals damage. It stimulates collagen production and softens the hard skin to get rid of the problem.
- Slightly warm 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a microwave and take out.
- Apply this warm coconut oil on the scars affected areas.
- Massage it gently using a circular motion till the oil is absorbed by the skin.
- Leave it for few minutes and repeat the same process for several times daily.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Dilute ACV with anywhere from 1 to 4 parts water (depending on how sensitive your skin is) and dab or wipe on with a cotton ball to help fade scars and sun spots. If you have acne-prone or oily skin, try this wonder ingredient in an acne-fighting turmeric-ACV astringent, too.
Here are few ways of using ACV for treating scar tissue.
- Apply raw and unfiltered ACV on the scar tissue affected area using a cotton ball. Rinse off after 10 – 15 minutes with water and dry the skin. Spread some moisturizing lotion for few times daily.
- If you’re getting any skin irritation due to direct application of ACV on the skin, then dilute ACV with water before applying.
- Mix some raw honey and organic ACV in a bowl and apply it on the affected skin using a cotton ball. Wash the applied area with water after 10 minutes. Repeat it 2 – 3 times daily.
3. Essential Oil
Essential oils have many skin benefits that help a lot to treat scar tissue. Here are few ways of using essential oils for treating scar tissue.
- Lavender oil has the skin rejuvenating property that helps to prevent scars by increasing skin cell turnover rate. Apply few drops of lavender oil on the scar and massage gently for 10 – 15 minutes till the oil penetrates into the skin deeply (or) mix equal parts of olive oil and lavender oil and apply it on the scars area for few minutes.
- Tea tree oil has skin healing properties. Mix 2 drops of tea tree oil in 1 teaspoon of olive oil (or coconut oil) and spread it on the scars. Rinse off with water after few minutes (or) wash the scar area with 1/2 cup of warm water mixed with 2 – 3 drops of tea tree oil.
- Helichrysum oil diminishes the appearance of scars with its antibacterial and skin healing properties. Mix 5 – 8 drops of helichrysum oil in any carrier oil and apply it on the scars. Rinse off after few minutes.
- Also, use any soap that contains essential oils to rinse the scar tissue areas for twice daily.
4. Aloe Vera
This worked wonders on my ankle scarring—you can still see some discoloration but it’s not nearly as raised as it used to be. Among many other benefits, Aloe reduces inflammation, swelling, and redness.
- Squeeze out aloe vera gel freshly from an aloe leaf.
- Apply this gel on the scar affected skin area and massage gently.
- Leave it to dry on its own and then wash the applied area with warm water.
- Continue the application of aloe gel on the scar tissue for few times daily till you get relief from the scars on the skin.
5. Lemon Juice
Alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) in lemon helps to remove dead cells and regenerate new cells to repair damaged skin. It also works as a natural skin lightener that lightens up the scars and blemishes.
- Extract some fresh lemon juice and apply it on the scar tissue area using a cotton ball.
- Let it dry for 8 – 10 minutes and wash the area with water.
- Pat dry and apply some natural moisturizers to get faster relief from the problem.
- For best and quick results, use this process twice daily for several weeks.
Note: If you’ve dry or sensitive skin, then dilute lemon juice with water (or aloe vera or rose water) before application. Also, wear sunscreen before stepping out.
Tips and Precautions:
- Scar tissue resembles like a healthy skin tissue but the difference is the fibers in it, which are arranged differently. So, it is not a harmful health or skin problem and it fades away over a period of time.
- Intake of vitamin C, zinc, and beta – carotene rich foods will help to heal the scar tissue quickly.
- Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration and also to maintain moisturized skin in and around the scar tissue.
- Never prick or scratch the tissue with your nails or any other sharp tools, as it worsens the problem and delays the healing time.
- Regular massage (or) exfoliation will help to soften the dead skin tissue and thereby reduces the size and appearance of this scar.
- Usage of silicone gel sheeting (or) pressure garments on the scar affected area will provide relief from the problem.
- Consult your doctor if any symptoms persist or getting pain on the affected area.