Thai Coconut Chicken Soup Recipe
By Melissa Bridge
– 1 cup coconut milk
– 3 cups chicken broth
– 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 3-inch pieces and crushed with the back of a cleaver
– 1 1-inch piece ginger root or galangal, crushed with the back of a cleaver
– 1/2 pound boneless chicken breasts, sliced thinly
– 2 tablespoons fish sauce
– 2 red chili peppers
– juice of one lime
– fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
Yield: 4 servings
If you crave aromatic, comforting Tom Kha Gai, or Thai coconut chicken soup don’t think twice, make it at home. It’s simple to make like any other soup. Round up some fish sauce, coconut and ginger root and you’re well on your way.
Find the blemish-free green stalks with white roots. Look for fresh lemongrass, if it’s dried out it’s a waste, lacks the essential aromas. And if you’ve never worked with lemongrass, easily found year-round at any Asian grocery store, this is a great place to start.
Simply cut a stalk into several long pieces, whack it as hard as you can with the back of a heavy knife or meat tenderizer to release the flavorful aromatic oils, and you’re ready to go.
Prep time: 10 minutes; Cooking time: 15 minutes; Total time: 25 minutes;
Nutrition: Calories: 253; Total Fat: 19.5g; Proteins: 21.9g;
Chicken & coconut soup ingredients:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 3-inch pieces and crushed with the back of a cleaver
- 1 1-inch piece ginger root or galangal, crushed with the back of a cleaver
- 1/2 pound boneless chicken breasts, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 red chili peppers
- juice of one lime
- fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
Tom Kha Gai preparation process:
- Combine the coconut milk, chicken broth, lemongrass and ginger in a large pot.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently or the coconut milk will curdle, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add sliced chicken, fish sauce and chili peppers, bring to a boil, then simmer until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Add lime juice, stir well and serve garnished with lime wedges and cilantro sprigs.
- Serve rice or steamed veggies as side